the lady bags a plot

Sunday, July 09, 2006

The beginning

Being quite keen to grow more of my own food, I've been searching for an allotment to compliment my small plot in my back garden. On Friday 30 June 2006 and after months of drawing blanks I've finally acquired an allotment, in a nearby village.
This site will hopefully record my journey on the way to being able to grow what I and my family want to eat.
I have been inspired over the last couple of years by River Cottage and more recently the Strawbridge family's attempt at being green. Including the idea of permaculture which is a new concept to me.

The plot on day one!

1 July 2006

There's an awful lot of work to do to clear this 60 feet by 30 feet plot. Unfortunately it's full of couch grass and bind weed.I've met the old farmer who used to grow wheat and barley, but it hasn't been ploughed for years. You can't see the furrows from the pictures but it makes walking across the plot a bit of a hazard.

A bit of raking, rotavating and lots of digging will have it levelled out in time.


4 July 2006-The plot after 3 days work.

After a lot of raking you can actually see the earth-yippee!

3 Comments:

  • At 12:27 AM, Blogger mrsnesbitt said…

    Gosh how exciting, another journey to observe!
    Will keep a watch out now I know you have a blog chuck.
    Wishing you lots of luck with the plot.
    Dxxx

     
  • At 12:20 PM, Blogger Marie said…

    Thanks Mrs N for the positive vibes, can't tell you how chuffed I am to have even created this.
    Thank goodness for digital cameras!! Catch up with you in Pottie time. Thanks for looking in.
    Marie
    xxxx

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Blogger mrsnesbitt said…

    My pleasure chuck!

    Check out my blog.see my good news!

    Dxx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home