the lady bags a plot

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Permaculture Project

Over the past few months I have become increasingly interested in permaculture, so after reading a couple of books-Permaculture in a Nutshell and The Earthcare Manual both by Patrick Whitefield plus reading the Permaculture Magazine, I found myself on an introductory course down on the Gower Peninsula in South Wales for a weekend in September. I was truly inspired by all those I met-both young and more mature and all with 1 aim to help better the planet. Once home I got in touch with a local group that is in its infancy. The group has the use of a 5 acre field courtesy of an interested and supportive farmer and his family. The groups aim is to develop the site along permaculture principles and grow as much organic veg and fruit to sell to the local community both at local markets and in the farm shop. I have added some photos of the field on my first visit, there is much to be done, including renovating the old field shelter, put up a polytunnel when funds permit, layer mulch the growing beds, plant a native hedgerow and create a small forest garden. Someone is also aiming to build a round house. Ambitious or what, hopefully as the site develops I'll be able to post more photos. Keep watching.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger dibnah said…

    I've done Patrick Whitefields permaculture course and it's fantastic he knows every page of those books off by heart. hows it going now?

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger dibnah said…

    http://welcometovoluntarysimplicity.wordpress.com/ visit my blogg and take a look

     

Post a Comment

<< Home